Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Scott Finally Arrives

I was beginning to wonder if I would ever deliver this child.  His original due date was January 15 and now it was February 12.   I guess he wanted to do things on his own terms and I believe he must have been busy enjoying family on the other side and learning so much and trying to teach his mother patience.  Scott has a fun loving personality and so I am guessing he was in the middle of some amazing game or activity, when they finally said, "You need to go now."

For about a week before Scott was born I had been having dreams that he and I would die during his delivery.  It seemed that every time I would close my eyes I would have that horrible dream.  I really wanted this baby and I wanted him to be okay.  He and Christie were only 14 months apart in age but I knew there was a reason for him to come to us.

My parents were visiting me from Idaho a day or two before he was born and I told them about my dreams.  I asked my father to give me a blessing and he did.  The dreams went away and I knew he was going to be okay.  My mother had come to help with the kids because the doctor was going to induce me if I didn't have the baby in the next day or two.   But after the blessing, I started having contractions in the middle of the night and so we went to the hospital in the morning.   Do I believe in the power of priesthood blessings?  Yes, I do!

When we got to the hospital, there was a lady before me that her baby had died inside of her and she was still having to go through all the delivery process.  I felt so bad for her and at that moment, I didn't care how bad it was going to be because I knew my baby was alive inside of me.   They tried to send me home and so I had to walk the halls even though my contractions were about 3 to 5 minutes apart.  I was determined not to go home.  They finally admitted me and got hold of my doctor, Dr. Clover.  With the help of forceps he eventually was delivered.  Thank heavens for doctors and equipment to help with my delivery.

So our Scott Anthony Paxton made his grand entry into this world on February 12, 1980, at the Cottonwood Hospital in Salt Lake City, Utah, with the help of Dr. Clover.  He weighed 7 lbs 13 oz. and was 21" long.

He and I were both relatively okay.  His head was cone shaped but that would return to normal and I had a few problems because my uterus did not want to contract like it should and so I had a few bleeding problems.  But we were both alive and going to recover. 

So glad my mom was there to take care of the kids and to stay to help me when I came home from the hospital.  I don't know what I would have done without my wonderful mother.


Christie, Scott on Bryan's lap in our house in Bennion, Utah

Bryan Lee Paxton, Scott Anthony Paxton, Christie Lynne Paxton sitting on Grandma Dee's lap (DeVola King Hayes)


I remember when Vauna and Lisa came to see Scott and me in the hospital, Lisa made the comment that I didn't look like I had had the baby yet because my stomach was still huge but that was because of the problems I was having.  I felt bad but there was nothing I could do about it and she had never had a child and didn't know any better.  Eventually things returned to normal.  I know all the relatives were worried about Scott's head but I guess I just couldn't see it and didn't know why they were worried.
Grandma Paxton (Vauna Leany Paxton) with Scott

I was so excited to welcome this little baby boy into our home.  He was a good baby and very loving.   He was welcomed by a big brother, Bryan, age 3, and big sister, Christie, age 14 months.  It seemed any time I needed to feed Scott, Christie wanted to be sitting in my lap too.  Bryan was a good big brother and helped get diapers and things for me.  I was a very busy mom with three little kids at the age of 3 and under.


Christie, Bryan and Scott with my Aunt Vi King Nuhn  (whom I call Grandma) and Uncle Les Nuhn
People in story and pictures:
  • Scott Anthony Paxton b. 12 February, 1980, Murray, Utah
  • Christie Lynne Paxton Perkins (Sister) b. 28 November 1978, Murray, Utah; d. 26 April 2018, Cedar City, Utah
  • Vickie Lynne Hayes Paxton (mother) b. 30 Dec 1953, American Fork, Utah; 
  • Marvin Lee Paxton (father) b. 21 April 1948, Salt Lake City, Utah
  • Bryan Lee Paxton (brother) b. 16 September 1976, Aberdeen, South Dakota
  • DeVola King Hayes (grandmother) b. 21 March 1930, North Logan, Utah; d. 11 October 2007, Layton, Utah
  • Robert Eskelson Hayes (grandfather) b. 29 July 1930, Rupert, Idaho; d. 22 April 2013, Swan Lake, Idaho
  • Violet King Nuhn (great aunt) b. 15 September 1914, North Logan, Utah; d. 18 Mar 2006, Roy, Utah
  • Leslie Carvel Nuhn (great uncle) b. 20 July 1920, Providence, Utah; d. 14 January 2004, Layton, Utah
  • Vauna Mae Leany Paxton (grandmother) b. 30 May 1923, Hurricane, Utah; d. 14 December 2014, Salt Lake City, Utah




No comments:

Post a Comment