Monday, March 9, 2020

Cinderella at the Ball

 I was thinking today about my formal dances at High School and thought you might get a good laugh and/or realize that your mother or grandmother was young once when you saw these pictures from my High School dances. I know you are going to love the hairdos for sure.

I didn't turn 16 until December 30th of my Junior year in High School so I didn't go to any date dances before that time.  My first date was with Bill Baliff, a senior, to the Junior Prom which was just before Christmas Break. When he asked me to go I was going to tell him I couldn't go because I wasn't 16 yet but my mother said,"You can go. It will be okay for this one dance."

So I told him yes.   We were friends at school and I had a little crush on him so I was pretty excited to go. 

The next thing you need to know is that my dad was out to sea with the Navy and was not around and my mom was doing the best she could to provide for us with whatever money my dad sent to us.  We didn't have a lot and it was many years later that I realized that because I never had a lot growing up but I never really felt deprived.  My mom always made sure we had clean clothes and food to eat.  I didn't ask for things because I knew she didn't have extra.  Growing up I wore a lot of hand me downs from cousins or others but I was always grateful for them.

When I realized I would need to get a formal, I didn't know what we were going to do but my mother must have said something to my Aunt Maurine, who lived in California, because before I knew it we received a package from her and inside were two formals.   They were from a movie star actress that she knew.  She told me I could borrow them.   I remember how excited I was and felt like a princess, especially to think I was able to wear a star's gown.  They fit perfectly and I didn't have to have them altered or anything.  What a blessing this was in my life.   It made me feel like Cinderella at the Ball. 


Bill Baliff and Vickie Hayes for Junior Prom
When we went to dances, it meant getting your hair done during the day.   My best friend's sister was a hairdresser and she did my hair for me.  It was pretty fun to go to her beauty shop and have her do my hair.  Look at all that hair.  It was all my mine.  She did lots of ratting and there were lots of curls.  It was pretty fancy.  I felt so pretty that night. 

 Bill was very much a gentleman and we had a wonderful time.  I think he took me to the bowling alley for dinner.  I was so nervous.  It was had to eat.   Maybe I should tell you I was living in Preston, Idaho, and there really weren't restaurants in town but the bowling alley's restaurant was a pretty good place to eat.   The dance was decorated nice and I had a good time dancing the night away.   

Bill Baliff and Vickie Hayes Senior Ball
The next dance I went to was the Senior Ball with Bill Baliff.  We had gone on a few dates inbetween these dances and I guess in some ways he was my first boyfriend.  My friend, Betty Jones's sister did my hair again.  I am sure she charged me a fair price.  This time not so much piled up on top.   I think this was the other dress she gave me.  Apparently she just told me to keep the dresses because I wore them a couple of times.   This dance was towards the end of the school year.   

Bill went on a mission to South Dakota and I wrote him the whole time he was gone.  

Randy Sharp and Vickie Hayes for Jr. Prom


I am pretty sure this was the Junior Prom of my Senior year.   I was asked by Randy Sharp, who was also a senior.  It looks like I wore the same dress to Prom.  

Information on Vickie:

Vickie Lynne Hayes Paxton:  b. 30 December 1953, American Fork, Utah, Utah

No comments:

Post a Comment